Summer is the best and better than that, summer is HERE! Bring on the cookouts, concerts, bonfires, graduation parties, and long days on the beach! In order to have a fabulous Summer of Seventeen, here’s some important things to consider. Use these Summer Safety Tips to have fun in the sun!
- Make sure if you are going to a party where people will be drinking that you have a safe ride home. It’s best to make those arrangements BEFORE the night starts. That way, everyone is on the same page, and you can have a fun night without scrambling to find a safe ride at the end of the night.
- Don’t get a ride with someone who’s been drinking or taking drugs. This is something we all hear a lot, but it can be difficult to make a safe choice in the moment. A good idea might be to have a policy that before someone gets a drink, their keys go in a bowl for the night.
- It’s a good idea to have cash tucked away during a night out just in case your ride ends up drinking or using drugs. That way, you can always use an app like Uber or Lyft to get a safe ride home.
- If you choose to drink at a party, make sure you keep an eye on your drink or leave it with a trusted friend, if you need to leave it at all.
- Don’t take drinks or drugs from people you don’t know. You don’t always know what you’re getting.
- Come up with an emergency plan in case you get uncomfortable with how the night is going. Talk with your parents, a sibling, a close family member or friend about having a code you can text them so they’ll come and get you, no questions asked. You can also do this with a friend who is at the party with you. Talk to each other before you go out and come up with a secret word or phrase that tells the other person it’s time to go.
- Do your best to only use alcohol or drugs in places and with company that you trust.
- Don’t go swimming if you are drunk or on drugs. That can be a very dangerous decision.
- Remember that it’s great to take pictures of the fun you’re having for memory’s sake, but if you choose to post them online, they are online forever. Make sure you aren’t putting anything on your social media that might endanger you, your friends, or put your summer job in jeopardy. If you wouldn’t want your boss or grandmother to see the picture, think twice before posting it.
- WEAR SUNSCREEN!
Have a blast!